Step 2: Connecting and Setting Up Xero
If the "Connect" button isn't displayed under the "Accounting" tab, please reach out to the support team at email@example.com so that we enable the Xero feature on your account.
Once enabled, you should be able to go through the steps outlined in this article to set up Xero with Spendesk in just a few minutes.
Log-in to Xero from Spendesk
In order to connect your Spendesk account to Xero, you first need to log in to Xero via Spendesk.
- - Head over to the [Settings > Accounting] tab.
- - Look for the 'Xero integration' section.
- - Click on the [Connect to Xero] button.
⚠️ If you can't see the button "Connect to Xero", please contact your account manager, or get in touch with our support team.
- - After clicking on the button, you should be redirected to Xero.
- - Fill-in your credentials
- - Then, please select the organisation you'd like to connect to Spendesk:
- - After a few seconds, you should be redirected to Spendesk, in the [Settings > Accounting] page again.
Choose the Spendesk bank account
- - Once you've been redirected to Spendesk, please map the Spendesk bank account to its corresponding Xero account.
⚠️ Don't forget to also map your Bank fees account, which we'll need when pushing payments that have foreign exchange fees.
Check your expense accounts
Now, you can check that your expense accounts and VAT accounts have been properly retrieved from Xero. You can always come back later and re-synchronise these accounts later if ever they are updated in your Xero chart of accounts. If you want to create, edit, or delete your expense accounts, you'll have to do it directly in Xero. Indeed, we retrieve these accounts directly from Xero and freeze them on Spendesk. Once you made changes directly on Xero, hit the 'Refresh from Xero' button and we will fetch the new values and populate them on Spendesk.
- - If you create a new expense account in Xero, it will be created in Spendesk once you refresh the values
- - If you update an existing expense account in Xero, it will be updated in Spendesk as well. If you have associated this expense account to some payments in Spendesk, they'll now have the updated expense account attached.
- - If you delete an expense account in Xero, it will be deleted in Spendesk. If you've associated this expense account with some payments in Spendesk, they'll still have this expense account attached, but you'll not be able to select it anymore for other payments.
Next to the refresh button, you'll see a clock icon. By hovering it with your mouse, you'll see the last time we've synchronized the values with Xero. If you made changes on Xero since then, make sure to click on the 'Refresh from Xero' button to sync them back on Spendesk.
Once all expense accounts have been synced, you'll them them in the list. You'll be able to toggle them ON/OFF if only a couple of them make sense for you on Spendesk. By doing so, only the ones you flagged as 'active' will be shown and listed down in the app's expense accounts selectors. If you want to show/hide active/all expense accounts, click on the 'Hide/Show disabled expense accounts' button on the top-right of the table.
Check your VAT accounts
VAT accounts work pretty much the same as expense accounts. Once you connect your Xero account to Spendesk, we'll fetch and populate your VAT accounts with the ones you have on Xero. The list will be frozen, which means that if you need to make changes to your VAT accounts, you'll have to do it on Xero. Then, simply click on the 'Refresh from xero' button to re-sync the values.
The 'Push VAT information' toggle makes you choose whether you want Spendesk to automatically fill your expenses' VAT information in Xero. Otherwise Spendesk will not push this information on Xero and will let you do it manually.
Sync your tracking categories
You can import and map your Xero tracking categories to your Spendesk analytical codes. You can also select values from your Xero tracking categories in Spendesk, and automatically have them attached to your expenses after pushing them to Xero.
⚠️ Please ask your account manager to enable this feature for you.
Here's a breakdown of all the available options:
- - To activate this feature, switch on the "Use this option to sync your tracking categories..." toggle.
- - Then, you can use the table below to map your Spendesk categories (on the left) to your Xero tracking categories (on the right).
- - If you want to allow your employees to create values for these tracking categories in Spendesk, switch on the second "Create new tracking code..." option.
- - These new values will then be pushed to Xero.
- - In order to re-sync the tracking categories options from Xero, click on the "Refresh from Xero" button.
That's it for this section. If you followed each step carefully, you should be able to integrate with Xero successfully! Feel free to move [to the next section of this tutorial] to learn how to push your Spendesk expenses to Xero.